Saturday, May 15, 2010

Montessori benefits

I was put in Montessori pre-school in the late 70s/early 80s and while I don't remember much about going there except having a lovely Sri-Lankan teacher, Mrs Fernando, but the impact of my going there is still evident.

Back when I was four years old, Montessori enabled me to make my own porridge. Perched on a high stool by the stove top, I would put all the ingredients in and cook it myself, while my parents were still in bed. I also used to organise my afternoon tea (Activite and milk - remember that?) in height order from the Activite tin down to the spoon, before I made my drink.

I also remember not thinking that anything of this was out of the ordinary until it was commented on. Sometimes I wonder if commenting on it made me more reluctant to do it later on (my stubborn streak!). The Montessori philosophy advocates restraining excessive praise of a child's activities, as it draws attention away from the activity itself and brings the focus back to the parent. I think this is a good idea.

Now I have a love and a desire for organisation and having everything in its right place and in proper order. While I don't always achieve this, I have a strong desire for it, which usually brings be back on track before things get too chaotic.

No comments: